



MEETING MINUTES

Community Safety and Crime Prevention Advisory Committee

11 August 2021 – 17:03pm

Online Microsoft Teams Forum

Administration Building 2 Railway St, Kalamunda

1.0 OPENING OF MEETING

The City of Kalamunda acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, the Whadjuk people of the Noongar nation and pay our respects to Elders past, present and emerging.

LB welcomed everyone to the meeting and was officially opened at 17:02pm. LB Acknowledge that she was not in the capacity to chair, but Cameron Chisolm will be chairing most of the meeting as LB will be leaving at 5.50pm. From those who aren't aware, Engle's last meeting with the CSCP committee. On behalf of LB and committee we Thank you sincerely being part of the committee and our journey, it's been invaluable, and I wish you all the best. If you wanted to please feel free to nominate yourself for the committee as a member.

EP: Thanks LB and informed the committee she is moving into Mental Health running her own business. It's been a pleasure.

2.0 ATTENDANCE

Attending Members

Cr Lesley Boyd – Chair	LB
Cr Lisa Cooper	LC
Patricia McQuade	PM
Mark Brennan	MB
Snr Sgt Simon Roy Newland – Forrestfield Police	RN
Annette Crick	AC



Attending Staff

Douglas Bartlett – Manager of Asset Planning	DB
Engel Prendergast – Senior Road Safety Consultant, WALGA	EP
Annelies Gevers – Community Wellbeing Officer	AG
Nadine Popelier – Coordinator of Community Development	NP
Cameron Chisholm – Acting Manager Environmental Health & Community Safety	CC

Apologies

Glynn Cooper	GC
Cr Janelle Sewell	JS
Cr Sue Bilich	SB
James Wickens – Manager Environmental Health and Community Safety	JW
Peter Varelis – Director Development Services	PV
Cr Cameron Blair	CB
Peter O’Connor	PO
Cameron Watts	CW
Dr Shirlee-Ann Knight- Curtin University	SK

3.0 CONFIRMATION OF MINUTES

- First: LB
- Second: MB

4.0 DEPUTATIONS

4.1 No deputations.

5.0 BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETING

5.1 Zig Zag Trial Resolution – Cameron Chisolm

CC: We had resolved to write to the police minister and to organise to meet with relevant parties and the police to look at the Zig Zag and to look at the anti-social issues that have been going there. So, we did write to them, and we did have a subsequent meeting which lead to operation eagle. RN would you like to speak about this if not I’m happy to?



RN: Yes, just quickly there was a request to meet with the superintendent at the Midland District. He handed that back to me to me to act on his behalf. As a result, I wrote a letter back to the CEO however we are yet to meet just because of annual leave periods. This is my first week back and I'm happy to meet to discuss any additional activities for the strategies that we might be able to adopt during this trial period, not just that we have submitted an action plan to the district office called operation eagles. One of the key areas of interest or activity we put up was in relation to the Zig Zag because of that we undertook that action, we did a post operational assessment. That assessment has been provided to Annelies (AG). We have also created CAD job (Computer aided dispatch) against which we will continue to monitor and record all other patrol and activities associated with the Zig Zag just by way of interest. We also did a quick tally up of the Zig Zag patrols that Forrestfield Police Station have done, up until that point there has been 88 patrols. With the new CAD number, we will continue to assign any additional patrols, disturbance, and jobs that we do get against that job numbers, giving us the ability to record what we did moving forward during this trial period which may form basis of any additional review that we might have. Just by way of interest I was talking to the troops. We have noted that on at least 2 occasions where a CAD job has been initiated by a member of the public, pertain to disturbances and anti-social behaviour, and hoon behaviour at the time when police have already attended that time at the Zig Zag. When the job has come through in relation to for example hoon driving at a particular area we were there, and it just turns out there was no hoon driving. So interesting but we will continue to record and attend and patrol.

CC: Thanked Roy, just to clarify for those who aren't aware Operation Eagle was a surveillance operation conducted between the City Rangers and Forrestfield Police doing patrols everyday weren't they Roy?

RN: We did patrol mostly every day during a 2-week period during the period of operation eagle. Obviously, it was subject to any series matter that came in.

CC: So, provided there's no issues from your end sharing those statistics you sent through we'll send them out with the minutes if you're okay with that?

RN: Yes, it's fine.

CC. Any questions with regards to the Zig Zag?

LB: I don't have any questions but thanks for that update. It's pleasing to hear that of that joint operation that's ongoing and the feedback it will be good to read what that report says and see what's going on, so thanks very much for that Roy.



RN: That's fine any time, the post operational assessment is a very quick snapshot of the results i.e., infringements, cautions those type of things. It's a very brief document, it doesn't include the operation itself, it's just the post assessment of the outcomes that were achieved. As I said we'll continue our attendance in that area and work with the City of Kalamunda and the Rangers. And again, just by way of interest, it was prior to operation eagle that we got to also have the ministerial from one of residents that had come through that gave rise to some of the other stats that we are taking.

AC: I'm wondering as far police presence, is the council looking at putting in anything else like speed bumps or anything else that stop hoon behaviour?

CC: DB can you answer?

DB: With the patrol resolution the council report that went up the recommendation was to monitor the status of this temporary closure and we are going to be reporting quarterly back to council on the statistics and other bits and pieces as it goes through with the report due to council in May on what the long-term improvements or changes might be. So, there is nothing specifically intended now.

RN: I'm just wondering, obviously the date closure but also reference too lighting and CCTV and traffic calming devices bearing in mind some of the social issues has been going on since 2012, So this isn't a recent issue.

CC: to clarify with the gates they were opened 11 by the city and opened by a private safety company. We can provide further feedback

AC: Thank you

DB: I just wonder if the committee was advised to the previous council minutes? Perhaps we can recirculate them, that tells a fair bit of the story of what was looked at what the actions are going forward.

CC: Yes, happy to do that if the Committee would like to see that. Any further questions/comments

AC: That would be great if you could, however, are they are on the website I'm happy to go on the website if needed.

CC: They are available on the website, but we could at least point you to the right link instead of you having to search through half the previous council agendas and minutes.



AC: That would awesome, thank you.

CC: Any further questions regarding the Zig Zag?

5.2 Anti-Theft Screws Project – Annelies Gevers

Anti – Theft Screw Project has been postponed until the warmer months of the year. However, will be happy to inform the Committee when the next date will be so that committee members are able to attend and help.

LC: Lisa and Glynn are happy to be involved at the event.

LB: AG just a question on that, was that one subject to a funding application?

AG: It was a partnership opportunity between WA Police and Bunnings. Bunnings supplied us with the screws. An opportunity to promote what we do in community safety and crime prevention at the City of Kalamunda.

LB: Okay. Just wondering if it had to be delivered by a certain time frame for reporting purposes.

RN: Just a quick comment Annie, the partnership between Bunnings and WA police the provision of been given the Anti-Theft Screws, it's usually takes place at Bunnings. So obviously that's part of their interest to get people there.

AG: Thanks Roy, we'll give it a go at Bunnings in Kalamunda but obviously parking and logistics are a little bit more difficult obviously wanting to keep it quite safe, noting that on a weekend you will have a lot of people coming in and out of the carpark. We'll keep Bunnings involved as much as possible so if we don't have it on their turf, we'll have some community engagement personal from bunnings to being involved on the day.



6.0 DISCLOSURE OF INTERESTS

Nil

7.0 CORRESPONDENCE - in/out

Nil

8.0 ITEMS FOR COMMITTEE CONSIDERATION

8.1 Community Safety and Crime Prevention Plan Report on actions

AG: Provided an overview CSCP strategy update as well reported crime statistics for the City of Kalamunda.

NP: Provided an update on Community Development Services in the Youth department.

Student Leadership Program:

The City of Kalamunda is partnering with the Constable Care Child Safety Foundation to host a Rapid Response Theatre workshop with young leaders from each school in the area. This session will help foster cross-school communication, collaboration and informed discussion while also developing confidence and leadership skills in individuals. This event will not only highlight key social issues but provide young people with an opportunity to discuss their reasonings as to why they believe these issues are important and how they apply to the City of Kalamunda. The young leaders will have an opportunity to consider discussion



points, offer solutions and receive feedback from the mayor/councilors about these issues

The day consisted of:

- Leadership skills and team building discussing the Importance of being a leader
- Brainstorming community Concerns/ opportunities
- Rapid Response Session- guided theatrical performance by Constable Care
- Community Concerns/Opportunities
- Speech & Presentation Skills
- Speech writing and rehearsal
- Mayor/Councilor Introductions
- Presentation to Councilors
- Councilor Feedback and Discussion
- Closing Notes

Youth plan update

City is due to develop the upcoming Youth Plan. It is a 15-month process including consultation, creation, and development. The team have just started Stage 1 of the consultation- to prepare the tools/ consultation methods Trying to find out as much information as possible about our community Plan will be developed in house so staffing resources will be limited during this period.

LC: Regarding your self-defence workshop what were the ages that attended?

AG: It was a mix of age groups. I didn't make the age range specific as I wanted to see what ages would attend. Both locations where the workshops were delivered attracted a mix of ages.

LC: Would you do anymore of that type of thing?



AG: Yes definitely, I'm hoping to do this annually and work with community development with some senior's self-defence workshops with the suburb of Kalamunda. I think it has a space within our community.

LC: Yes, that's fantastic, thank you.

MB: Whoever did all that work on the Youth stuff, well done and good job.

LB: I just have a question, but good work around all the projects. Just a query around funding sources or grants, obviously everyone that's been on the journey since we have had this committee up and running and even the new committee, with the focus on youth that we've had. The smaller projects we've been trying to steer towards, and we know we have potential opportunities at Forrestfield Primary School, with some of the places they have available and said we can utilise. I'm just wondering if we are aware of any potential funding or grant opportunities that may be in the wings or down the track that maybe we could investigate.

NP: Roy did you want to touch base regarding conversations with the Crime Prevention Grant?

RN: The Police do two grants, ones in relation to \$25,000 and the other is a lot more than that. I've also done 4 letters of support in relation to 4 organisations for grant funding which relate to the same grant source. There is some work we have been down with Swan Districts Football Club regarding a Youth the Centre, subject to grant funding which Police have provide a support letter. It regards to individual grants I'm not quite sure, but I can say there are several not for profits active in this space that have either been working solo or in conjunction with Annelies and Swan Districts Football Club. But I will have to come back to you on that.

NP: I agree, but just to let know we have also quite a few calls regarding letters of support for youth programs for the Crime Prevention Grant. It's quite a long time till we know they are successful or not.



LB: Is there any youth driven activities? I think from the committee's perspective we were going to try and have one of those annually. Are we at the position to maybe have that back on our radar?

NP: From memory the youth weren't interested in doing anything crime prevention driven, we were going to look at more activities that had a safety aspect to them. When we are planning, we've included in our plan to see if our consultation to see if crime is a concern for youth.

LB: It wasn't to be crime prevention driven it was just an activity that was going to be run. If we run something to keep kids off the street, like midnight basketball. It didn't have to be a crime forum it was something that we were getting kids involved in per se. Didn't have to have a crime process.

AG: About 10 years Kalamunda Highschool did a wood working project for kids at their school. I'm looking at replicating that at Darling Range Sports College. I've been working with Greg from the Joy of Wood who ran the program in Kalamunda. He is happy to come on board again and be a part of that, looking at grant funding for that project. If this model works, it's something we can replicate at other schools that's why I was interested in running the program. Both Shane and Roy have been involved in that project too.

NP: We've also upped our skate clinics too, which is a good forum for youth, to come to local play space. We didn't have them last year due to budget restrictions and COVID. So, they have been approved back into our budget so we can have them up and running once the weather fines up.

CC: Any other questions regarding the report on the plan so far?

RN: Just one quick comment, I seem to recall a conversation that we had a presentation of a letter.



NP: That's fine I did it on behalf of the City. We looked at asking bringing it forth to the Committee to support the Forrestfield Youth Initiative Swans Program. I felt that it will benefit youth in the community.

8.2 Update on Zig Zag Closure - Douglas Bartlett

DB: No major news from our side there is only one final Painting bit to do on the road in terms of the no parking, but otherwise everything seems to be running smoothly.

8.3 Update on Safer Communities Grant Proposal

AG: The project is aimed at protecting communities from anti-social behaviour and crime associated with racial and religious intolerance.

The scope is to purchase two purpose-built CCTV trailers that can be placed in specific locations at the request of the community, local businesses, or police.

The project supports the objectives and strategies with the City of Kalamunda Strategic Community Plan by providing a safe and healthy environment for communities to enjoy and encourages and promotes active participation in social and cultural events. The project supports the City's CCTV Strategy and Community Safety & Crime Prevention Plan.

The trailers will be able to set up in response to community requests, local business, schools, places of worship and at the request of local police. They will be able to be set up at community events to provide a perception of safety. Also, they can be used to trial CCTV in locations to determine ongoing investment in permanent CCTV infrastructure.

Grant Application Date Due: 19th August 2021



LB: LB requested to leave meeting to attend her next meeting.

LC: Can we go back to what we were just discussing regarding the CCTV trailers, do you mind giving me a bit more detail. As I haven't heard of this before as I generally don't come onto the meetings. Can you please give me more detail about these trailers?

CC: Yes, the idea with these trailers rather than having a permanent site, that we have the mounted on the back of a trailer. Like variable messaging boards. So, they can be moved around so if there are reports of crime or anti-social behaviour or anything things that they can be moved around to target whatever we are looking for address at that time, so we'll be collaborating with Shane and Roy down at Forrestfield Police as well as our residents and Rangers team.

LC: Thank you.

RN: Just a quick question do they have ANPR Capabilities?

AG: I'm not too sure I will have to review the application.

CC: We'll review the technical specs and get back to you.

RN: It'll be good if they did.

8.4 WALGA Road wise update – Engel Prendergast

A couple things I wanted to highlight is vehicle safety features, when you're doing the Anti-Theft Screws Project maybe putting some information about safer vehicles when



people are already talking about and get the information out there. As it's something that will protect people well. We are heading into a slower stage with vehicle/fleet stage turnover by the fact there is no new vehicles around. You can't buy new vehicles and people are holding onto their vehicles for longer which means from a vehicle safety perspective we are slowing that down a bit as people we'll be keeping their older cars with lower safety features. Most fleets are keeping their cars for an extra year. Supporting people when buying a new car to look at the safety features.

The other thing I wanted to highlight from a community safety and community development point of view we've done a fact sheet on high occupancy vehicles, did some surveying of local governments as they are over presented in crashes. There's lots of people involved and they tend to be older vehicles. So, we did some research on that and put out a fact sheet that looks at some of the mitigating factors that can reduce some of the risk factors.

When you were talking about grants the road safety commission has opened the grants again. The local road safety grants through the state government. If you wanted to do some road safety projects with youth. The events grants close this month, but the project grants don't close till September. I believe you can receive up to \$20,000 so it might be something the Committee want to investigate.

And apart from that thank you very much for having me on this committee I've really enjoyed it. I especially enjoyed it when we got to drive up to Kalamunda because I love Kalamunda. Hopefully I see you around I have not left the world and I'm not retiring. But hopefully see you around and thank you for having me on board, it's been a real delight.

CH: Thanks Engel, with regards to the safer vehicle stuff, if there's any resources you would like us to distribute or otherwise use like the Anti-Theft Screw project, please send them through.

EP: Okay I will

CC: Thanks again for your contributions to the committee it was always great having you chime in with the road safety updates. We really appreciate it.



EP: I will say the recruiting is just finishing now, so there will be someone else that will look after Kalamunda but I'm not sure who it is at this stage. But I will make sure someone lets you know, but if you need anything just email Road Wise at WALGA.

RN: Road Wise update to be sent to committee with minutes.

CC: Yes, we'll send the update with the minutes.

9.0 URGENT BUSINESS WITH THE APPROVAL OF THE PRESIDING MEMBER

DB: We now have bumper stickers to support road safety that are available at reception at the City Administration building. So, if you would like a bumper sticker on your vehicle to support road safety and take your time and road safety awareness program please come and get one.

CC: Any other furth urgent business?

PM: *Audio unable to hear due to technical difficulties*

CC: Established that PM was cutting in and out of the audio but confirmed what PM was trying to discuss was; Storm water drains are filling up and spilling them out to the road? Is that correct?

PB: Yes

DB: If there any areas you notice this is happening frequently, please let us know as we have had heavy rains which causes overflow onto the road, but it shouldn't be as we haven't had enough rainfall to have water overflowing on the road which means we have to make fix or a repair. Just pass these locations back through to me and I will action them through to my team.

CC: Thanks DB, does this answer your question PM?



PM: Yes

10.0 DATE OF NEXT MEETING

CH: Stated that due to council elections we won't have another committee meeting till later in the year however the City will be in contact regarding the next meeting.

11.0 MEETING CLOSED

Meeting closed at **5.57pm.**