Kalamunda History Village

Kalamunda History Village is on the site of the old Upper Darling Range Railway Station built in the 1890s to service the Zig Zag line which transported timber from Canning Mills to the main line at Midland Junction. It is the largest folk museum in Western Australia depicting the unique hills life and industries that developed in the area.  The two original railway stations and platform are on the National Trust List of Heritage Places.

REOPENS: The Kalamunda History Village will reopen to visitors from Saturday, 5 June 2021. [read full notice here]

Opening Hours
Group & School Visits

Entry Costs: please check website for current entry fees

Address: 56 Railway Road, Kalamunda.
Contact: Telephone - (08) 9293 1371

The museum consists of:

  • Locomotive G118 – a "G" Class locomotive of the type used on the Kalamunda line, including the Zig Zag, during its 49 years of government ownership
  • Railway stations – the original railway station (1903-1927) and a second railway station (1927-1949)
  • School House (1905-1970) – the area's first State school building
  • Post Offices – the original Post Office (1901-1921) and the first official Post Office (1921-1972)
  • Chamber's House (1922) – which depicts a typical pre World War II boarding house
  • McCullagh Cottage (1895) – a settler's cottage
  • Carriage Shed – housing a range of older transportation vehicles
  • Orchard Shed – showing the development of the orchard industry in the district
  • Blacksmith – a display of the blacksmith's trade
  • Sawpit – as used by the pioneers of the timber industry
  • Dunny – an original, complete with newspaper
  • Whim – used in the early days of the timber industry for moving logs - on loan from the WA Museum
  • Kalamunda Community Memorial Building – featuring transport display and memorial wall
  • Stirk Cottage - built in 1881 and located at 12 Kalamunda Road in Kalamunda.

Stirk Cottage

Location 12 Kalamunda Rd, Kalamunda, Western Australia 6076.

Stirk Cottage was built in 1881 by Frederick and Elizabeth Stirk. The Stirks took up a 10 acre property in the district known as Gooseberry Hill, this area later became the Kalamunda townsite. The cottage is made of wattle and daub using materials found on the property - jarrah saplings for corner posts and mud carted and mixed by Elizabeth. Charles Brooks took over the cottage in 1896 and established Kalamunda's first shop in a barn alongside.

The area has since been developed into a park, named Stirk Park after these enterprising settlers.

© City of Kalamunda 2021